By Michelle da Silva Richmond
Our guests asked for it and we responded. Recently, we’ve had an upsurge of guests asking us to offer Indian food at our restaurants, so we’re excited to announce that we’re now providing a taste of India with Chef Basant Kumar’s recently debuted Indian Menu.
Especially contracted for this new culinary experience, Chef Kumar brings years of culinary expertise – both in India and Cancun – to our resort where he has crafted a full roster of delicious delights from his home country.
This specialty menu, which debuted in July, is being offered in our popular Viña del Mar Restaurant, nightly from 6 p.m. – 10:30 p.m. and at Isla Contoy from noon to 5:30 p.m. Guests may serve themselves from a buffet or place their order with the waitstaff. This special menu is also available for room service.
“Since we’ve had an increase in Indian-American and Middle-Eastern clients, we are trying to meet their expectations by providing the dishes and Indian spices that they’re used to having,” says Chef Kumar. “For example, we have tandoori-style grilled vegetables, meat, seafood, lamb, and other dishes. By providing this sophisticated Indian cuisine our clients are finding more options and enjoying their stay even more.”
Leading the list are refreshing drinks such as Mango Lassi, a traditional yogurt drink with green cardamom. Vegetarian small plates such as: pakoras (vegetable fritters), Papad (crunchy Indian lentil flour toast fried in tandoor), salads and garlic naan specialties pave the way to this culinary adventure.
Some of the gastronomic highlights include:
- Paneer Makhan Masala – Fresh house cheese prepared with creamy tomato sauce.
- Peshawari Chole – Delicious chickpeas cooked in an exotic blend of spices from Northern India.
- Biryani Vegetable – Basmati rice with vegetables, saffron, mint and Indian spices
- Chicken Tikka – A succulent boneless kebab with mild spices, baked in a clay oven
- Lamb Seekh Kebab – Minced lamb in tandoor with Indian spices
- Shrimp in coconut curry sauce
- Lamb prepared in a spicy vindaloo sauce.
- Curried vegetables
Dessert selections offer a sweet finale to the tasty meal. Some of the options are:
- Gulab Jamun – Exquisite milk balls soaked in sweet syrup
- Gajar Ka Halwa – Grated carrots cooked in milk and dried fruit
- A selection of ice creams
A specially designated Vegetarian menu offers many delicious options – rounding up a culinary experience sure to please every palate.