By Michelle da Silva Richmond
It’s hard to believe that Christmas is around the corner and another year is at our seaside doorstep. Grand Fiesta Americana Coral Beach Cancun All-Inclusive Spa Resort is ready to celebrate the holidays – and the end of a very challenging year – with a sparkling slate of activities.
Our traditional Christmas tree serves as the glittery centerpiece for our signature Christmas and New Year’s menus and festivities, which are always peppered with time-honored Mexican traditions.
Because of ongoing challenges prompted by Covid-19 we’ve had to modify our holiday program to comply with strict State and Federal Government protocols included within our “TRAVEL WITH CONFIDENCE” prevention program to ensure everyone’s wellbeing. Our celebrations will have to be limited to same family/friends traveling together, avoiding socializing with other guests, social distancing and other protocols. Activity programs have been modified and the use of face masks is mandated by State law in all public areas, restaurants, bars, bathrooms, hallways and elevators. The only exception is when you are enjoying outdoor seating, at the beach or pool, or while dining at any of our restaurants or bars. Following State Government protocols dancing will not be encouraged. Alcoholic beverages must be accompanied by food and alcohol service is limited by State and local authorities between 11 a.m. – 11 p.m.
Despite these limitations, we hope that you will enjoy our festivities and warm hospitality.
Christmas celebrations in Mexico are marked by the diverse traditions and attractions, which – combined with the sunny weather, good food and friendly residents found here – draw thousands of tourists south of the border this time of year.
A Time-Honored Christmas Tradition –
Posadas, a longstanding practice carried out nightly during the Christmas season in Mexico are both a religious and social celebration, honoring the biblical journey of Mary and Joseph from Nazareth to Bethlehem. Typically carried out December 16 – 24, they are one of the most impressive holiday customs staged throughout Mexico. Originally created by Spanish Conquistadors to teach the Aztecs the story of the birth of Jesus, they coincided with the nine-day Fiestas del Sol, celebrating the birth of the Aztec Sun God, Huitzilopochtli.
In keeping with that ritual, we will host a festive posada on December 23, where we will meet at 6:45 p.m. on the Sunset Terrace where you will be treated to a true Mexican fiesta. The colorful event will feature customary food such as tamales, tacos, buñuelos, punch and other seasonal dishes along with caroling and fun activities. The Posada will culminate with children breaking a colorful piñata, which will be overflowing with candy and toys for the kids, and gift certificates for Gem Spa treatments, a Master Suite upgrade, bottles of wine and more for the adults.
For our little guests, Santa will be visiting them on December 25 at noon by the Christmas tree in our main lobby.
Christmas Eve/Christmas Day Dining
For your dining pleasure, our restaurants will be spreading Christmas cheer with a host of festive options:
- Isla Contoy will be highlighting a special dish on Christmas Eve and an American-style menu on Christmas Day.
- La Joya invites you to savor serving typical Mexican specialties combined with a special Christmas menu.
- Our AAA Diamond Award Le Basilic will feature French Mediterranean cuisine with special Christmas dishes accompanied by live piano music and a classic ballet show.
- Havana Club, our Latin Lounge and Argentine Grill, will be dishing up sizzling steaks combined with a special Christmas menu on December 24.
- Tuscany Trattoria will add a special Christmas menu to their Italian selection – highlighted by live violin music on December 24.
- Grand Coral Theater will be celebrating with two distinct dinner shows on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. December 24 will feature the heartwarming “A Christmas Show” and the 25th will present “Peter vs Pirates,” based on Sir James M. Barrie’s novel “Peter Pan” about a boy who refuses to grow up.
Ringing in the New Year
The New Year will be ushered in with a dazzling line-up of dining and entertainment options leading up to December 31 and New Year’s Day with a host of delightful choices.
- Isla Contoy will be showcasing a special buffet on New Year’s Eve. On January 1 they will be hosting a spectacular champagne breakfast buffet to welcome 2022 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- La Joya will feature a tasty buffet on December 31 with a live Mariachi band as an entertaining backdrop.
- Le Basilic, Havana Club and Tuscany will feature special New Year’s Eve menus and Tuscany will add live violin music to their festivities.
- On December 27 Grand Coral Theater invites the whole family (children under 6 are free) to the Moulin Rouge Dinner Show with a special “Surf and Turf” plated menu.
- December 29 features the spectacular “Fire Motion Dinner Show on the Sunset Terrace, sure to thrill everyone.
- We’ll be welcoming the New Year with an unforgettable, “Four Elements” dinner show in our Grand Coral Theater. The celebration kicks off with a cocktail reception at each table from 7 – 8 p.m. followed by a bountiful international buffet with open bar and Cava Methode Champenoise. The use of face coverings will be mandatory while you’re standing, walking or dancing.
We look forward to seeing you. As we say in Mexico: Feliz Navidad y Prospero Año Nuevo!