By Michelle da Silva Richmond
It’s that time of year again and Grand Fiesta Americana Coral Beach Cancun is ready to celebrate the holidays with a host of sparkling activities.
We’re kicking off the season with the largest Christmas tree in town as a glittery centerpiece for our customized Christmas and New Year’s menus and festivities, peppered with time-honored Mexican traditions.
Christmas celebrations in Mexico are marked by diverse traditions and attractions, which – combined with the sunny weather, good food and friendly residents found here – draw thousands of tourists south of the border this time of year.
Celebrating Christmas –
Posadas, a longstanding tradition carried out nightly during the Christmas season in Mexico are both a religious and social celebration, honoring the biblical journey of Mary and Joseph from Nazareth to Bethlehem. Typically carried out December 16 – 24, they are one of the most impressive holiday customs staged throughout Mexico. Originally created by Spanish Conquistadors to teach the Aztecs the story of the birth of Jesus, they coincided with the nine-day Fiestas del Sol, celebrating the birth of the Aztec Sun God, Huitzilopochtli.
In keeping with tradition, Grand Coral Beach Fiesta Americana will host a festive posada on December 22, treating our guests to a true Mexican fiesta. The complimentary event will feature customary food such as tamales, tacos, buñuelos, punch and other seasonal dishes along with caroling and fun activities. The Posada will culminate in children breaking a colorful piñata, which will be overflowing with candy and toys for the kids, and gift certificates for Gem Spa treatments, a Master Suite upgrade, bottles of wine and more. The fun begins at 6:45 p.m. on the Sunset Terrace.
For our small guests, Santa Claus will be making an appearance on Christmas Day on the Sunset Terrace at 2 p.m. In case of rain, the event will be moved to the Lobby Bar.
Christmas Eve/Christmas Day Dining
- Isla Contoy will host a bountiful Christmas buffet with special discounts for children and teens and live music celebrating the season.
- At La Joya, you’ll be treated to Mexican specialties combined with a Christmas menu, live music and a show.
- Our AAA Diamond Award Le Basilic will feature French Mediterranean cuisine created by Master Chef Henri Charvet with special Christmas dishes accompanied by live Jazz.
- On Christmas Day, dine al fresco at Viña del Mar’s international buffet and interactive food stations.
Ringing in the New Year
The holiday décor on display throughout the resort serves as the perfect backdrop for the dazzling line-up of dining and entertainment options in place for December 31, starting at 8 p.m.
- La Joya will welcome the new year with a seven-course menu, international open bar, sparkling wine and party favors along with mariachis and a Mexican show.
- Isla Contoy will feature a signature buffet, international open bar, sparkling wine, party favors and live music.
- Le Basilic welcomes 2019 with an eight-course gourmet menu, a glass of French champagne, international open bar, party favors and live piano music.
- The Grand Coral Ballroom will host “La Vie en Rose,” a stellar event set in a “French garden” punctuated by gourmet food stations, signature dishes, flambé stations and hi-tech touches including DJ music so you can dance the night away.
As we say in Mexico: Feliz Navidad y Prospero Año Nuevo!